In the market for a new truck? If you’ve started exploring your options, you probably know that there’s a load of specs you should look at before you make your final decision. But how do they add up? Let’s take a look at a detailed light-duty truck comparison of the Ford F150, GMC Sierra 1500, Chevy Silverado 1500, Dodge Ram 1500, and Toyota Tundra.
2020 Ford F150
- Engine Options: 3.3L V6, 2.7L Ecoboost V6, 3.5L Ecoboost V6, 3.0L PowerStroke© V6, HighOutput 3.5L Ecoboost V6, and 5.0L V8
- Transmission: 6 and 10-speed automatic
- Total Horsepower: 250 – 450 hp
- Torque: 265 to 400 lb.-ft.
- Fuel Economy: 21 mpg city / 28 mpg highway
- Towing Capacity: 5,000 – 12,100 lbs
- Tongue weight capacity: 800 – 1,320 lbs
The ever-reliable 2020 F150 brings six different engine options to the table in 2020. Trying to figure out which one is best for you? Ultimately, you’ll have to decide what you’re going to be using your truck for to narrow it down. Looking for more torque for towing? Try opting for the High-Output 3.5L Ecoboost, which gets a whopping 510 lb.-ft. of torque at 3,500 RPM. You can find the whole list of 2020 F150 towing specs here. And, while you’re at it, you might as well add some accessories to keep your shiny new truck in tip-top shape. Make your towing life easier with a protective headache rack.
2020 GMC Sierra 1500
- Engine Options: 3.0L I6 Turbo Diesel, 5.3L V8, and 6.2L V8
- Transmission: 8 and 10-speed automatic transmission
- Total Horsepower: 277 hp – 420 hp
- Torque: 383 – 460 lb.-ft.
- Fuel Economy: 15 mpg City / 26 mpg Highway
- Towing Capacity: 7,400 – 9,600 lb.
- Tongue weight capacity: 700 lbs.
Although the 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 doesn’t have the same range of engine options as the F150, its performance is just as noteworthy. Depending on which engine setup you go for, this beast can tow up to 9,600 pounds, which is no small feat for a light-duty truck. The beefy 3.0L inline 6-cylinder turbo diesel engine hits 460 lb.-ft. of torque at 1500 RPM. Looking to find your perfect match? You can find all of the specs for the 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 here.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500
- Engine Options: 2.7 Turbo V4, 4.3L V6, 3.0L I6, 5.3L V8, and 6.2.L V8
- Transmission: 6, 8, or 10-speed automatic
- Total Horsepower: 277 – 420 hp
- Torque: 305 – 460 lb.-ft.
- Fuel Economy: 23 mpg city / 33 mpg highway
- Towing Capacity: 7300 – 13,400 lbs.
- Tongue weight capacity: up to 1,250 lbs, depending on GVWR
Chevy makes one of the most widely-recognized pickup trucks available. Like its competitors, the 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 comes in a wide array of engine options. And the torque specs are no joke. The 3.0L inline 6-cylinder turbo diesel racks up a whopping 460 lb.-ft. of torque at only 1500 rpm. Need more info? You can find all the detailed specs for the 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 here.
2020 Dodge Ram 1500
- Engine Options: 3.6L V6, 5.7 V8, 3.0L EcoDiesel V6
- Transmission: 8-speed automatic
- Total Horsepower: 260 – 395 hp
- Torque: 269 – 480 lb.-ft
- Fuel Economy: 17 mpg city / 26 mpg highway
- Towing Capacity: up to 12,750 lbs.
- Tongue weight capacity: up to 1100 lbs.
Say hello to the 2020 Dodge Ram – a pickup that’s built to do the hard work for you while you ride in style and comfort. Depending on which setup you go for, this baby can tow up to 12,750 pounds of fun. With an average of 17 mpg city and 26 mpg highway, you’ll get more smiles per mile. Want to learn more about the 2020 Dodge Ram? Check out the spec list here for all the details (or here for towing info).
2020 Toyota Tundra
- Engine Options: 5.7L V8
- Transmission: 6-speed automatic
- Total Horsepower: 381 hp
- Torque: 401 lb.-ft. @ 3,600 rpm
- Fuel Economy: 13 mpg city
- Towing Capacity: 9,400 – 10,200 lbs.
- Tongue weight capacity: up to 1,080 lbs.
Last but not least, we present the 2020 Toyota Tundra. The Toyota Tundra has stood the test of time. In fact, it’s been around the longest. But don’t let that fool you, because the 2020 Tundra is packed full of modern conveniences and off-road ruggedness. Toyota has simplified the engine lineup with only one engine/transmission combination available for 2020. With Toyota’s infamous 5.7L V8, you’ll get up to 381 hp and 401 lb.-ft. of torque at 3600 rpm (which is more than some of its competitors can say). Discover more about the trim packages and accessories here.
Buying a new vehicle can be a real pain. Finding the right truck for you is about more than just price. You need to make sure your truck can keep up with you. Because let’s be honest – it sucks when your truck keeps holding you back. From off-road adventures to hauling, you’re sure to find the perfect match for you in this roundup of the all-new 2020 in our light-duty truck comparison. But do yourself just one favor: once you bring your new baby home, invest in some stylish, protective gear to keep her looking as good as the day you met.